Elementary Scholars Program
Mrs. Nancy Piggot, email@example.com
Activity Grade Level - 4th and 5th Grade. Maximum 7 students based on MAP scores. Activity meets Friday 3:00 - 4:45
To be the global leader in teaching the creative process from imagination to innovation.
To develop opportunities that inspire the global community of learners to utilize diverse approaches in applying 21st century skills and creativity.
The Destination Imagination program is a fun, hands-on system of learning that fosters students’ creativity, courage and curiosity through open-ended academic Challenges in the fields of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), fine arts and service learning. Our participants learn patience, flexibility, persistence, ethics, respect for others and their ideas, and the collaborative problem solving process. Teams may showcase their solutions at a tournament.
- Students to prepare for a STEM competion.
- Students attend field trips to gain background knowledge for STEM activities.
- Choose a team challenge, practice instant challenges, write a script to perform, do research for the challenge, prepare a budget, purchase supplies, and finally build their STEM project.
The Creative Process:
Destination Imagination participants experience these components of the creative process while solving Challenges.
- Becoming aware of the Challenge
- Gaining an in-depth understaning of the Challenge
- Generating ideas with team members
- Focusing on promising ideas
- Creating a project timeline
- Initiate & Collaborate
- Research, exploring and experimenting
- Committing to options; building and completing all requirements
- Assessing progress; reworking or reimagining ideas
- Practicing presetning the solution
- Evaluate & Celebrate
- Presenting at a tournament
- Reflecting on and celebrating the experience