Text Options for the Visually Impaired Font Size: a- A+ Color: A A A Revert 
Close vision bar
Open vision bar

Transition Checklist

Transition Checklist 

__ Register with PUNS- In order to receive funding for services for adult day or residential services. You will be asked to participate in a PUNS interview with Community Alternatives Unlimited (CAU). In order to remain on the list, you will have to update information annually. In order to register with PUNS, you can contact them at 773-867-4000 or visit their website at www.cau.org  


__ SSI- In order to receive benefits from social security, you can call them at 1-800-772-1213 to request an application or fill out the application online at www.socialsecurity.gov. You should apply for Social Security Benefits before applying for Medicaid. 


__ Medicaid- Once awarded SSI benefits, you are eligible to apply for Medicaid. To apply for Medicaid, you can go online to download it and fill it out at www.health.illinois.gov/hfs.html 


__ Apply for ADA Paratransit- To apply for ADA Paratransit, you should call the RTA's ADA Paratransit Certification program at 312-663-4357 to have them mail an application to you. Once you complete the application you will have to call the same number to schedule an interview. Bring any supporting documentation, a photo I.D. and the completed application to the interview. If approved for ADA paratransit, you will received a confirmation letter within 21 days with your ADA paratransit ID number. 


__ Illinois State Identification Card- It's important to have a state identification card for a form of identification. You will need to go to the DMV or download it at www.cyberdriveillinois.com. In order to get a state identification card, you will need the following: birth certificate (original or copy), social security card (original) and proof of residence (mail postmarked within 60 days of application)  


__ Sign up for Lake County Ride West- Lake County Ride West is a regional door to door dial-a-ride bus service that serves Antioch, Avon, Fremont, Grant, Lake Villa and Wauconda townships and operates Monday through Friday. To see service area and other destination stops you can visit https://www.lakecountyil.gov/DocumentCenter/View/10163. To register, call 1-800-201-6446.  


__ Register for Library Card- The local library can be a great resource and have programs that are available to local residents 


__ Employment- Division of Rehabilitation Services provides assistance to people with disabilities who are looking for employment. You can speak to your Vocational Facilitator about potential options with DRS.  


__ T.O.D.A.Y Club and Special Recreation options- These programs provide social and recreational opportunities for youths and adults with disabilities. For more information on Special Recreation Services of Northern Lake County (SRSNLC) or the today club visit http://www.rlapd.org/programs-special-recreation.cfm 


__ Guardianship, power of attorney, etc.- There are plenty of options out there for guardianship, powers of attorney, joint bank accounts to assist your student with making choices in regards to decision making with themselves, health and finances. For more information you can visit https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/guardianship-adult