Text Options for the Visually Impaired Font Size: a- A+ Color: A A A Revert 
Close vision bar
Open vision bar

FAFSA Fest! - Thursday, October 5th

Seniors and their parent(s)/guardian(s) who would like assistance in completing the FAFSA are invited to FAFSA Fest! on Thursday, October 5, 2017.  This event will be held from 3:30-9:00pm in the RLHS Library.  Counselors and ISAC Corps members will be on hand to assist students and their families with filling out and submitting the FAFSA.


Students will need the following information for both them AND their parent(s)/guardian(s) in order to complete the FAFSA:

  • Social Security Number.  Be sure that it is correct! (Remember – DACA SSNs do NOT count.) Students will need theirs AND their parents’ (see Notes below on parent SSNs.)
  • Records of income, such as income earned from work and business, child support paid or received and any other untaxed income.  If you have them, refer to the W-2 Forms or Federal Income Tax Return IRS 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ.
  • Information about assets, such as savings, certificates of deposit, stock options, bonds, 529 plans/other college savings programs; & investment real estate, business and farm. 
  • Driver’s license number, if you have one.
  • Dates of birth, include the month, day and year.
  • Month and year of marriage, separation, divorce or other change in marital status.
  • Alien Registration Number, if the student is not a U.S. citizen.


  • The STUDENT must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen. DACA/Dreamer students should not submit the FAFSA without speaking to their counselor.
  • Parental information is required unless the student is at least 24 years of age or meets the criteria for filing as an independent student as described on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid
  • Only parents who do not have a Social Security number can enter 000-00-0000 on the FAFSA.
  • Students must report income and assets for themselves and for their parents (if they are a dependent student) or their spouse (if they are married).
  • When filling out the 2018-2019 FAFSA, you will need 2016 tax information.  You may, and should, be able to directly import it using the IRS Data Retrieval tool.

In many instances, institutional and state aid is given out on a first-come, first-served basis, so the sooner the application is filed, the better.  As a school, our goal is to have all students submit their FAFSA before Thanksgiving.  Our goal for college applications to be submitted is November 1st.  Having completed tasks by these dates not only benefits them in terms of admissions and financial aid, but are also factors that go into being considered for our Decision Day event in May.

If you have any questions, please contact Christopher Chiakulas, College and Career Counselor, at cchiakulas@rlas-116.org or 847-270-9308. 



The Round Lake High School Counselors


Estudiantes de último año, ¡pongan esta fecha en su calendario! Jueves 5 de octubre, tendrá lugar el FESTIVAL FAFSA!  Este evento se llevara a cabo de 3:30-9:00pm en la biblioteca de la preparatoria. Consejeros y miembros de la organización ISAC estarán disponibles para asistir a los estudiantes y sus familias en cómo llenar y presentar la aplicación para FAFSA.

La FAFSA solicita información acerca de usted (su nombre, fecha de nacimiento, dirección, etc.) y acerca de su situación financiera. Según sus circunstancias (por ejemplo, cuándo presentó su declaración de impuestos o qué formulario de declaración de impuestos utilizó), podría necesitar la siguiente información o los siguientes documentos para llenar la FAFSA para 2018-19:

  • su número de Seguro Social (¡es importante que lo ingrese correctamente en la FAFSA!);
  • el número de Seguro Social de sus padres, si es un alumno dependiente;
  • su número de licencia de conducir, si la tiene;
  • su número de registro de extranjeros, si no es ciudadano de los EE. UU.
  • Los datos de impuestos federales o declaraciones de impuestos del 2016, incluida la información de su formulario IRS W-2 (y el de su cónyuge, si está casado), y de sus padres, si es un alumno dependiente:
    • Formularios de IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ
    • Declaración de impuestos extranjera y/o
    • Declaración de impuestos para Puerto Rico, Guam, Samoa Estadounidense, las Islas Vírgenes de EE. UU., las Islas Marshall, los Estados Federales de Micronesia o Palaos
  • Registros de ingresos no tributables, por ejemplo, manutención para menores, ingresos por intereses y la asistencia no educativa para veteranos, tanto suyos como de sus padres si es un alumno dependiente.
  • Información sobre dinero en efectivo; saldos de cuentas corrientes y de ahorros; inversiones (incluidas las acciones, los bonos y los inmuebles, a excepción del domicilio habitual); y activos de negocios y fincas agrícolas suyos y de sus padres, si es un alumno dependiente.

Si tiene preguntas, por favor póngase en contacto con Christopher Chiakulas, Consejero Universitario y de Carreas en cchiakulas@rlas-116.org o en el número 847-270-9308. 



Consejeros de la Escuela Secundaria de Round Lake

Back to School News      Print News Article